Friday, November 21, 2008

more blood

The nurse called today and my glucose was normal - Yeah! Unfortunately, the lab people put my blood in the wrong tube so my hemoglobin could not be tested. BAD LAB PEOPLE! They know it took me 3 tries to give the blood...and now I have to do it again! Last time my hemoglobin level was 11.8 but it needs to be 12. I'm going to eat lots of meat this weekend to get my level up for the blood withdraw on Monday. Yuck!

I'm in the process of getting help for this needle/blood phobia. The psychology department has a desensitization program. At the intake, the director told me that there is a genetic component to blood withdraw. I didn't really understand it, but it seems that there is a physiologic reason for people to fear giving blood. It really does make you feel different and lowers your blood pressure. I guess it's good to know that it's a typical phobia. I do get special attention because I'm pregnant - it's not like I'm suddenly afraid of spiders - eek!

No comments: